Mango & Lime Cheesecake!
It’s Christmas time! For me, this brings back memories of my Grandma’s CWA lemon cheesecake that she would make every year for dessert on Christmas Day – the base was crushed Nice biscuits with butter and the filling included lemon jelly, lemon juice, condensed milk, cream cheese and other things then it was set in the fridge. Grandma would then top the cheesecake with fresh Mango. Sooo good.
I’ve made a Dairy-Free, Sugar-free, grain-free version of Grandma’s lemon cheesecake before (it also happens to be FODMAP and SIBO friendly)
However, with Summer coming into its peak here in Australia I start to fall in love with Mangoes and feel the need to use them in EVERY recipe haha! One result is my revamp of the Lemon cheesecake to a Mango & Lime Cheesecake! I’ll definitely be serving this one on Christmas Day!
And would you believe the lemon cheesecake is completely free from refined sugar, dairy, grains and can be made nut-free!
Serves 12-16 squares or a 15cm diameter round cake
Time 20-30 mins to prepare then minimum 5 hours to set
Ingredients and Method:
For the Base:
- 1 C almonds (sub sunflower seeds for nut-free)
- 1/2 C preservative-free desiccated coconut
- zest of 1/2 a lime
- pinch of sea salt
- 3 T melted coconut oil
- 1 T honey or maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C
- Place the almonds, coconut, zest and salt into a food processor and process until coarse. Then add the coconut oil and honey/maple and process until it all comes together – scraping down the sides as you need.
- Grease a small spring-form cake tin with coconut oil.
- Press the base mixture into the base such that it’s spread out evenly.
- Bake in the oven for about 5-10 mins or until golden – keep an eye on it, you don’t want it to burn!
- Allow to cool completely
- ALTERNATIVELY – you could allow the base to set in the fridge for a raw, unbaked base.
For the Filling:
- 2 C coconut cream (full cream, you want just Coconut & water as the ingredients – I use either the homebrand Woolworths or the Asia brand from Aldi.)
- 3/4 C macadamia nuts (replace with coconut flakes for nut-free)
- Flesh of 1/2 a Mango
- 3/4 C coconut oil
- zest of 1 lime
- juice of 1 lime
- optional sweetener of choice – honey (1-3 T), maple(1-3 T) syrup, rice malt(1-3 T) , stevia (1/2-1 t).
- Place all filling ingredients into a blender and blend well, making sure the macadamia nuts have been incorporated.
- Carefully pour the filling mixture over the COOLED base.
- Spread out evenly with a spatula.
- Place in the fridge and allow to set for at least 5 hours, preferably overnight.
- Once set remove from fridge, carefully remove the spring form of the cake tin.
- Top with fresh mango and coconut flakes, lime zest and a drizzle of lime juice!
- Slice and serve!
- The Mango & Lime Cheesecake will keep in the fridge for about a week then you’ll want to freeze it.