I do love an easy recipe with minimal ingredients, and these Split Pea Falafels are exactly that. At the heart of it you really only need 2 ingredients (split peas and water), all the rest are “nice-to-have” but certainly make these split pea falafels taste delicious. You can get split peas just about anywhere, even Aldi!
You could also use lentils instead of split peas in this recipe, and if you want more similar recipes, click here.
Makes about 15 falafels
- 2 cups split peas (yello/green/mixture)
- 2 cups boiling water
- 2 tsp cumin powder
- 2 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- salt and pepper to season
- Place the dried split peas in a high speed blender and process for about 60seconds or until they resemble a coarse flour.
- Transfer to a heat-proof bowl, add any spices if using, and add the boiling water.
- Allow to sit for 20mins for the water to absorb.
- Preheat oven to 180degreesC
- Using a 1/4 cup measure or ice-cream scoop, portion-out falafel-shaped patties onto a baking tray. Bake in the oven for about 30mins or until golden.
- Serve ask you like – in a wrap, sandwich, kebab, or with a big salad.
- They freeze well too!