Impress your friends’, colleagues’ and gym buddies’ tastebuds with these high protein brownies! When figs are in season then use those with some swirled tahini. But at other times of year then you can use orange for a jaffa flavour, or some strawberries and peanut butter instead of the tahini.
Recipe Type: GF, DFO
Serves 12 brownies
- 3/4 cup chocolate protein powder (I used a vegan version)
- 1 cup almond flour
- 3 tbsp cacao powder
- 1/4 cup rapadura sugar (optional)
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 banana
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1/3 cup dark chocolate chips or good quality dark chocolate, chopped into small pieces
- 1-2 tbsp tahini
- Optional – figs, strawberries, nuts.
Preheat oven to 180 degrees celsius. In a large mixing bowl, add the almond flour, protein powder, cacao powder, sugar, baking soda and salt. Whisk to combine.
- Blend the banana, butter, milk until smooth. Transfer to a bowl and whisk in 2 eggs to combine.
Then pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and use a spoon to stir until the batter comes together. Next, add the chocolate chips (and nuts if using) and give it one more stir.
Grease an 8×8 inch baking dish with butter or olive oil, then pour the batter into the dish. Use the back of a spoon to smooth out the top.
Use a spoon to dollop the tahini all over the top of the batter, then use a butter knife to swirl the peanut butter all over the batter. There is no specific technique to this, just swirl it in all directions.
- If using fruit, spread slices of these over the top and gently press in.
Bake for 25 minutes. Allow to cool for at least 10 minutes before cutting and serving