These savoury pumpkin bites came about because I was trying to invent a plant-based, delicious protein alternative for me to have with my lunches and dinners. I wanted to avoid using whole lentils/legumes because they tend to make me really gassy, and I had a few ingredients in my pantry and fridge… so I started to experiment. After a bit of tweaking, you have the result below!
Nutritionally. Quinoa is a pseudograin that not only packs a mean punch in protein content when compared to other pseudograins and grains but also contains a complete amino acid profile (that is, it has a complete protein, most non-animal protein sources are incomplete). Organic Brown Rice Protein powder is also another really easy and clean source of protein. Once you combine the anti-inflammatory effects of the turmeric and Beta-carotenes in the pumpkin, you’ve got yourself a superfood right here!
Recipe Type: GF, DF, RSF, V
Makes 12-14 Small balls
- 1 C roast pumpkin puree
- 3 T EVOO
- pinch salt
- 1/2 C organic quinoa flakes
- 1/2 C organic brown rice protein powder
- 2 T linseed meal
- herbs and spices as desired
- (to these ones I added a teaspoon each of turmeric, garam masala, ground coriander seed, a dash of cayenne and a tablespoon of savoury yeast flakes)
- Preheat oven to 180degC.
- Place all ingredients into a bowl and bring together with a spoon and/or your hands.
- Roll into balls and place on a greased baking tray
- Bake for 20-25mins or until just a little crusty on the outside.
- Remove from oven, allow to cool.
- Serve as you would falafels through salads or on a cabbage wrap or sandwich.