Christmas in July is here with my latest creation, Spiced Orange Quinoa Porridge!
When it comes to breakfast in winter, nothing beats porridge! Hence, why I have several differing porridge recipes on my site including Carrot Cake Quinoa Porridge,, Turmeric Latte Porridge, Choc Chilli Porridge and today Spiced Orange Superfood Porridge!
This is seriously my new favourite flavour too, it tastes like Christmas!
Quinoa is a pseudograin that provides complex carbohydrates and some protein. 180 Nutrition Superfood provides the bulk of the protein to this meal (but feel free to use another source, like an egg or another protein powder) as well as fibre, healthy fats and micronutrients. I’ve even managed to hide some veggies in here too! The coconut butter and toppings (coconut yoghurt, hemp seeds/sunflower seeds) balance out the dish with healthy fats!
This perfectly balanced porridge will keep you satisfied until lunch (and even beyond in some cases), help balance blood sugars and keep any cravings at bay!
Recipe Type: GF, DF, RSF, V, Paleo
Time 10 mins
Ingredients for 1 person
- 1 C grated carrot
- 1-2 T quinoa flakes
- 1-2 T 180 Nutrition Vegan Superfood (Coconut, use code 180PB for 10% off)
- 2 prunes, chopped into smaller pieces
- 1 t coconut butter
- zest of 1/2 an orange
- pinch sea salt
- generous shake of ground cinnamon
- pinch of ground nutmeg
- shake of ground ginger
- 1 clove
- pinch vanilla powder or paste
- Juice of 1/2 an orange + water to make up to 1 C total liquid (more if you use larger amounts of quinoa flakes and superfood protein)
Options for the Topping
- shredded coconut
- hemp seeds
- a dollop of coconut cream or coconut yoghurt
- fresh orange or mandarin
- Place all porridge ingredients (not the topping ingredients) into a small pot over a low-medium heat and stir as it heats up. Allow to simmer, stirring every minute, for 5 mins before serving. OR
- Place all porridge ingredients into a bowl and combine well. Heat in the microwave for 2 minutes, stopping after 1 minute to stir.
- Top with topping suggestions above or alternative toppings as desired by your lovely self!