Mexican, and South American food in general, are amongst some of my favourite cuisines to eat. And they’re so simple to recreate at home! I made these Simple, easy soft tacos in less than 30 minutes for Mum and I last week and they were an absolute winner!
Dishes like this can be great when you have to deal with people who have food intolerances/preferences, because each person can pick the foods they want to eat out of the array set out on the table!
Time ~ 30minutes
- 2 carrots, grated
- about 1 cup grated cheese (optional, omit for vegan)
- 3 truss tomatoes, diced
- 1/2 a large green capsicum, diced
- 3 cups mixture of baby spinach, lettuce, rocket (basically your favourite greens
- 1-2 Avocados mashed up with some lime juice, salt and pepper (guacamole)
- Coconut Yoghurt (or sour cream)
For the Taco Shells
- 1 batch of my Basic Buckwheat Crepes (cooked in a small pan)
- OR Cos lettuce leaves
- OR Iceberg lettuce leaves
- OR gluten-free Tacos bought from the store
For the ‘cooked part’ of the filling
- 400g chicken thigh, sliced into strips (use tofu for vegan). Can also use pork, beef, fish, prawns, kangaroo, lamb etc.
- 1 brown onion, sliced (doesn’t have to be diced)
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 4-6 brown mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 cup passata
- 2 T Mexican Spice Mix
- Place carrots, cheese, greens, guacamole and coconut yoghurt in separate bowls and in the fridge, ready for serving later.
- Mix the diced tomatoes and green capsicum together and place in the fridge in a bowl as well.
- Cook the Buckwheat Crepes if you’re using them for your tacos, place on a plate to serve.
- In a fry pan over medium heat, simmer the onion for 1 minute, add the chicken, garlic, mushrooms, passata and spice mix.
- Cook, while stirring, until the chicken is cooked through and onion & mushrooms are soft.
- Transfer to another bowl.
- Place all bowls in the middle of the dining table. Each person then takes a taco shell, fills with the fillings of their choice then devours!