I saw these flans made recently on the 2019 season of My Kitchen Rules (Channel 7). They really looked so tasty and I thought I could make a healthier version, lower in sugar and free from gluten and dairy which would be friendlier for my wide variety of friends with dietary restrictions.
It has a really beautiful, creamy texture, which is complimented perfectly when you serve it with some chunky cookies/biscuits.
Makes about 8 individual Flans
Time – 10 minutes + 20mins cooking
- 1 T Organic Gelatine
- Juice of 1 orange
- 200mL organic soy milk
- 1.5 C dark chocolate or Pure Cacao Melts
- 400mL canned coconut cream (I like Ayam and Aldi brands)
- 3 drops Wild Orange Essential Oil
- Optional sweetener (honey/maple syrup/rapadura sugar etc.)
- Bloom gelatine in a small bowl with the orange juice.
- Add to a pot over medium heat with the soy milk and sweetener if using. Heat until hot but not bubbling.
- Add the hot milk/gelatine mixture to a large bowl with the 1.5 cups of cacao melts/dark chocolate. Mix to melt the chocolate.
- Whisk in the coconut cream and essential oil.
- Transfer to silicone moulds and set in the fridge for a few hours.
- Serve with some Brookies or Choc Chunk cookies for a little extra texture.