I’ve always loved Babaganousch, the really smokey kind. For the longest time I struggled to replicate the smokey flavour I found at my favourite Lebanese restaurants at home. Then I discovered the secret! A gas stove top! Now I can’t make enough of it! This Super Smokey Babaganousch goes perfectly with my Chickpea Chips too!
Recipe Type: GF, DF, RSF, V, Paleo
- 1 large eggplant (~500g)
- ¼ cup raw cashews, soaked overnight, drained
- 2 tbsp tahini
- 1 lemon, juice
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1tsp apple cider vinegar
- handful flat leaf parsley leaves
- salt to taste
- ¼ tsp cumin
- 2 cloves garlic
- Pierce eggplant with knife several times over skin.
- Cook (on a plate or in a microwave container) in microwave on high for 4 min.
- Chargrill whole eggplant(s) for about 6mins directly on a gas stove (rotating the eggplant to char all of the skin).
- Remove and allow to cool on a plate (20-30 min)
- Peel eggplant, placing insides in a food processor, including about ½ cup of the flavoursome juices that have escaped while it was cooling on the plate.
- Add the rest of the ingredients to food processor. Add some of the chargrilled skin for smokey-ness (the more skin = the more smokey; I pretty much use all of the skin!).
- Process until smooth, taste and add more skin/salt/lemon etc as desired for flavor.
Macronutrients for 1 serve (8 serves for whole recipe):
|Amount Per Serving|
|% Daily Value *|
|Total Fat 6 g||9%|
|Saturated Fat 1 g||3%|
|Monounsaturated Fat 2 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat 0 g|
|Trans Fat 0 g|
|Cholesterol 1 mg||0 %|
|Sodium 12 mg||1%|
|Potassium 208 mg||6 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 7 g||2 %|
|Dietary Fiber 3 g||13 %|
|Sugars 2 g|
|Protein 2 g||4 %|
|Vitamin A||3 %|