The Lamington. An Aussie icon. A spongy cake coated in chocolate, coconut, and if you’re lucky there’s a divine little jam surprise in the middle (although I don’t think that’s traditional, but I like it anyway).
Here’s my take on this Aussie favourite – gluten-free, dairy-free, refined sugar free, but certainly NOT Fun-free! The coconut flavour comes right through in the cake as I use desiccated coconut and coconut cream in the batter. Plus, these lamingtons will deliver that fun Jam surprise in the middle that so many of us love!
A perfect treat to serve up on Australia Day or at any party really!
Recipe Type: GF, DF, Paleo, RSF.
Time 45 min, makes about 10 large cupcakes or 10 mini cupcakes.
- 1.5 C unsweetened desiccated coconut
- 1/2 C almond meal
- 45g tapioca
- 1 t gluten-free baking powder
- pinch salt
- 3 large eggs at room temperature
- 1/3 C honey or maple syrup or liquid sweetener of choice
- 1/3 C coconut cream (canned, full fat)
- 3 T coconut oil
- 1 tsp vanilla powder or extract
- 1/2 a jar of my Sugar-Free Strawberry Jam
- about 1/2 C 100% dark chocolate, melted in a shallow bowl.
- 1/2-1 C extra unsweetened desiccated coconut, in a separate shallow bowl.
- Preheat a fan-forced oven to 175degC.
- Line a muffin tray with cupcake liners.
- Mix the dry ingredients together in a large bowl and set aside
- Mix the wet ingredients together in a smaller bowl.
- Add wet ingredients to dry and mix with a wooden spoon until just combined.
- Use half the mixture to half-fill the cupcake liners.
- Use a teaspoon to carefully place about 1/2-1 tsp of jam into the middle of each (uncooked) cupcake.
- Then carefully use the remaining cupcake mixture to fill the liners (on top of the jam). Don’t over-fill! If you have batter left over, then make some more cupcakes!
- Bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean (aside from any jam).
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes in the tins before turning onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- To ice the cupcakes, simply hold each cupcake at the base, turn it upside down and dip in the melted chocolate. Allow excess chocolate drips to drip off before then dipping in the coconut. Place on a plate to set (place in fridge if necessary).
- Store in an air-tight container in the pantry for up to 2 days then move to fridge).