Do you love a good Mac’n’cheese, carbonara or lasagne. But struggle with the dairy? This basic Cauliflower Cheese Sauce is a perfect solution!
Just change up the flavourings/herbs and spices to cater for the specific use you choose!
Some of my suggestions:
- Carbonara sauce – stir in some sauteed mushrooms, chopped bacon, garlic and onion.
- Mac’n’cheese – spice it up as you like with some oregano, sage, basil, thyme, lemon juice, paprika, chilli, the list goes on!
- Vegetable Cheese bake/Gratin – as for mac’n’cheese
- Lasagne – add some extra garlic, oregano, thyme and basil.
- Bechamel – should be great as-is
- Pesto – blend with a bunch of fresh basil, extra salt, garlic, lemon juice and olive oil.
Recipe Type: GF, DF, RSF, V, Paleo
Serves about 1L sauce
Time 20 mins
- 1/2 a medium head of cauliflower, chopped into small pieces and steamed until tender
- 1-2 C water (amount will depend on your final use for the sauce and the consistency you desire, start with 1 C and add more as you need for a more creamier/runnier sauce)
- 1/2 C cashews, soaked in water for a minimum of 2 hours
- 2 cloves garlic
- 4 T savoury yeast flakes (if you can tolerate dairy, then you might like to use some parmesan or cheddar here instead, you’ll need to adjust the amount for personal flavour)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Process the cashews, water, garlic together in a blender until creamy and well-combined.
- Add the steamed cauliflower and process until creamy and combined.
- Add the savoury yeast flakes, salt and pepper (and extra flavourings specific for the use you’re making the sauce for) and process again to combine.
- That’s it! Go ahead and use for your carbonara, lasagne, mac’n’cheese, whatever, or store in an air-tight container in the fridge for use later.