Rocky Road. Another Aussie icon. Marshmallows, nuts and other goodies coated in chocolate. How can you go wrong? Well, that’s easy; all the sugar and added preservatives, stabilisers and emulsifiers that are found in so many of the chocolates, marshmallows and lollies out there these days.
Here’s my take on this Aussie favourite – gluten-free, dairy-free, refined sugar free, but certainly NOT Fun-free!
A perfect treat to serve up on Australia Day or at any party really!
Recipe Type: GF, DF, Paleo, RSF.
Time 20 mins
- about 1 C 100% dark chocolate, melted.
- about 1/2 C cacao butter or coconut butter, melted (you can just use extra dark chocolate if you wish, I just find that it’s very bitter by itself)
- 1 C homemade, refined-sugar free marshmallows that have been in the freezer for 1 hour.
- 1/2 C your favourite mixed dried fruit (I love dried strawberries, raspberries and incaberries)
- 1/2 C Nutiiboost or a mix of your favourite toasted nuts
- optional – some gluten-free licorice, roughly chopped
- optional – I LOVE to add some bare ginger!
- Line a small rectangular baking tray with baking paper so that there is some paper sticking up the sides.
- In a bowl, toss together the marshmallows, dried fruit and nuts.
- Transfer to the tray and evenly spread.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the melted 100% dark chocolate and the melted cacao or coconut butter.
- Pour the melted chocolate mixture evenly over the marshmallows/fruit/nuts so that it fills all the gaps.
- Shimmy/jiggle the tray to make sure everything is settled and there are no air bubbles.
- Place in the fridge for a couple of hours to set.
- Remove from the fridge, slice and serve.
- Store in an air-tight container in the fridge.