What’s Easter without a steaming Hot Cross Bun? If you’re following a paleo way of eating, there’s no reason to miss out either – try my Paleo Hot Cross Buns here!
Time: 90 min
Other info: GF, DF, Vg, SF, Paleo
- 400g Steamed or roasted pumpkin, pureed (you can use ½ cup Almond milk here if you don’t have pumpkin but the pumpkin gives a great flavour)
- 1.5 cup Almond Meal
- 1.5 cup Buckwheat flour (I’ve been buying this from the health-food store but have recently just come across it at my local Indian Grocery store as well)
- 4 eggs
- 50g Coconut Oil
- pinch salt
- [2 tsp. Bicarb soda + 2 tsp Cream of Tartar] OR [3 tsp Baking Powder]
For Cinnamon/Fruit Buns
- 3 t cinnamon
- 1 t allspice 1 t nutmeg
- 1-2 T honey/sweetener of choice
- about 1 C your favourite chopped, dried fruit (my favourites would be dried apricot, dried figs and dried apple).
For Chocolate Buns
- 1/2 C raw cacao or cocoa powder,
- 3-4 T honey/sweetener of choice
- 1/2-1 C dark choc-chips!
- Preheat oven to 160degC
- Blend pumpkin (or almond milk), eggs, oil and salt in food processor until smooth.
- Add flours and baking powder and whiz again until smooth.
- Transfer batter to a bowl and stir through choc or fruit flavours/spices as desired (see above). See below for other, savoury flavour ideas*
- Spoon batter into 12 greased muffin tins and bake for 30-40min or until a skewer comes out clean.
- For the crosses, just mix even quantities of buckwheat flour and wanter together in a dish then use a spoon, toothpick or piping back to draw the crosses (or other decorations as desired) onto the muffins.
- Allow to cool for 15min before attempting to take out of muffin tray.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge. Freezes well if necessary.
* Flavour Additions/Options:
- Use the same batter but bake in a loaf-tin for a loaf of bread (bake for 60-70 mins in this case). See my Paleo Bread Recipe here.
- Use Olive Oil instead of Coconut Oil and stir through come chopped olives, sun-dried tomato and Feta. Absolutely divine topped with hommus or capsicum dip!
- Add some herbs and spices like rosemary, thyme, basil, pepper, even cumin, coriander, sumac for some interesting flavour variations.