MEXICAN BEAN MIX
This versatile mix is perfect for a mid-week Mexican feast, double the recipe to make more for a large family. Plus it doubles as delicious lunch leftovers!
Different way’s I like to eat this mixture:
- On top of Nachos like in the picture; just spread out your fave taco chips (raw veggies, corn chips, toasted tortillas), top with bean mixture, add cheese, guacamole and a salsa if you like!
- Stuffed inside Tacos, Fajitas or Burritos with other, aforementioned, Mexican sides.
- As a sauce over some steamed, roasted or raw vegetables.
- In a wrap or on a sandwich with some fresh salad for lunch.
I’d love to hear your suggestions! Please let me know how you like it!
Recipe Type: GF, DF, RSF, V
- 1.5 C dried black beans soaked for 8 hours or overnight.
- 1 brown onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tin organic crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup vegetable or beef stock
- 2 cups your favourite vegetables chopped (here I used silverbeet and mushrooms but anything works)
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander seeds
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground chilli flakes (if desired)
- pinch cayenne pepper
- Preheat oven to 160degC.
- In a large casserole dish/pot, sautee the onion with a bit water on a medium stove for 1 min, add garlic and sautee for another minute.
- Add spices, mix. Once spices are aromatic, add all other ingredients, mix well and bring it to a simmer.
- Once the mixture is simmering, transfer the pot, with lid, to the oven and allow to cook for 30-40mins or until beans are done (alternatively, you could place all ingredients in a slow cooker and cook on high for a 30-45mins).
- Carefully remove from oven, check beans are done and serve in any Mexican style you like as mentioned above!
CHEATS VERSION – 20 mins only
**Use organic tinned beans instead of dried beans, no need for vegetable stock.
- In a large casserole dish/pot, sautee the onion with a bit olive oil on a medium stove for 1 min, add garlic and sautee for another minute.
- Add spices, mix. Once spices are aromatic, add vegetables and tinned tomatoes (and a bit of water to wash out the tin). Bring to a simmer.
- Add tinned beans, mix, place lid on the pot and leave on low-med heat for 10mins then serve.