Who doesn’t love a good ol’ slow cooked dish in the winter months? I certainly am, and what a classic slow cooked dish to prepare than the gorgeous Slow Cooker Chicken Cacciatore! All the mediterranean flavours and warmth come through for a delicious, hearty meal.
I’ve used chickent drumsticks in this Slow Cooker Chicken Cacciatore, but you could use chicken thighs (bone-in or not), breats, marylands, or a whole chook!
Time – overnight (or 8 hours ) in the slow cooker
- 8-10 chicken drumsticks
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic (or 8 cloves)
- 1 medium onion roughly chopped
- 1 small yellow or green capsicum, deseeded and diced
- 1 small red capsicum, deseeded and diced
- 4 carrots peeled and sliced
- 3 stalks celery, sliced
- 2 x (410g) cans crushed tomatoes
- 150 ml red wine (optional — substitute with beef broth IF DESIRED)
- 1 cup organic bone broth
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped parsley
- 1 Tbsp Italian mixed herbs
- 2 sprig fresh rosemary
- ½ teaspoon chilli flakes (optional)
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- ½-1 cup pitted black olives
- Salt and pepper to season
- Roast or mashed root veggies
- steamed greens
- Place all ingredients (except the mushrooms and olives) into the slow cooker and cook on low for 8 hours.
- Strain the liquid from the slow cooker and heat on the stove to reduce by 1/3.
- Return the liquid to the slow cooker, add olives and mushrooms and heat through on low for a final 30-45mins.
- Serve Slow Cooker Chicken Cacciatore with mashed or roasted root veggies and steamed greens.