Pulled pork is so often done as “BBQ” flavour, well try something different but just as delicious in my Asian Style Pulled Pork with fresh Asian slaw!
Time – overnight in the slow cooker
- 2-2.5kg free-range pork shoulder (bone-in). I love the quality meats from Sherwood Road Organic Meats
- 2 tsp chinese 5-spice
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 3 T Tamari (gluten-free soy sauce)
- 2 T red curry paste (I like the Asia brand from Aldi – no nasties)
- 2 small fresh chillies, deseeded, finely chopped (add more to taste)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cm piece of fresh ginger, minced
- 2 T chinese 5-spice
- 3 T raw honey
- 2 T Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 C bone broth
- 1/2 a small (or 1/4 large) red cabbage, shredded
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 3 large carrots, julienned
- 1 red capsicum, thinly sliced
- optional – 1 small chilli, deseeded and finely sliced
- handful chopped coriander
- handful chopped parsley
- 3 T Sesame Oil
- 2 T Tamari
- 1 T honey
- 1 t red curry paste
- Whisk the spice rub ingredients together, and rub all over the pork shoulder.
- Pan sear on all sides for several minutes until browned (this helps enhance the flavour). In a small bowl, whisk together the ‘sauce’ ingredients (except the bone broth). Rub all over the seared pork shoulder. Add any leftover sauce, bone broth and ‘saucy & seared’ pork shoulder to the slow cooker. Cook on low for 10-12 hours.
- Prepare the slaw by tossing all ingredients together in a large bowl. Whisk together the dressing ingredients and toss through the slaw to coat evenly.
- Remove pork shoulder from the slow cooker and place in a tray. Peel back the layer of fat from the meat (you can use this to make lard or cook under a hot grill to make some crackling). Using 2 forks, pull the meat apart, it shouldn’t take much effort at all as the long slow cook really tenderizes the meat.
- Transfer the juices from the slow cooker to a medium pot and heat on the stove over medium heat for about 20-30 minutes to reduce. I also added a tablespoon of tapioca flour and Agar Agar to help it thicken.
- Add the reduced sauce to the shredded meat and stir through to combine well.
- Serve straight away either as is with the fresh slaw, alternatively both the Asian Style pulled pork and slaw go well on on burger buns, in lettuce leaves or in a wrap!