Why settle for the same old Hot Cross Buns when Easter comes around each year? Why not change things up this year and give your batch of HCBs a little kick? These Choc-Chilli-Peanut Butter Hot Cross Buns will definitely fit the bill. You can also try my Incaberry, Ginger, Tahini & Molassess HCBs for another different flavour!
Recipe Type: GF, DF, Paleo
Makes ~12 small buns
- 3 C Almond Meal (you can also use a combination with tigernut, teff, buckwheat)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 4 t chai spice blend (use your favourite) or [1 t ground ginger, 1 t ground cinnamon, 2 t mixed spice]
- 1 tsp vanilla powder (or paste)
- 1/4 C raw cacao powder
- 1/2 t chilli powder
- pinch salt
- 1/2 C currants
- 1/2 C 100% dark chocolate, roughly chopped
- 1/3 C butter or coconut oil (melted)
- 2 Large eggs
- 2 T maple syrup
- 1 generous T peanut butter (plus extra for crosses)
- Preheat oven to 170degC.
- Place all dry ingredients into a large bowl and mix together.
- Whisk wet ingredients together in another bowl then add to dry ingredients and combine well, using your hands if you need to.
- Mould the mixture into 12 mini-buns, or 6 larger buns, and place on a baking tray lined with baking paper.
- In a small bowl, whisk together 2 tbsp peanut butter with 2 tbsp water. Using a spoon, carefully drizzle the peanut butter/water mixture down the middle of the buns (both directions) to create crosses.
- Place in the oven and bake for 20mins.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool before devouring!