Pea & Ham Soup (‘Snert’ in Dutch, which is my mother’s heritage) was a staple of my childhood, and remains a staple each winter now as an adult. Pea & ham soup was Mum’s speciality, and she’s taught me well!
All you need is a slow cooker, a ham hock, some green split peas and then just any veggies your love!
Time – 8 hours in the slow cooker
- 1 ham hock (free range – I love Sherwood Rd Organics)
- 2 cups split green peas
- your favourite veggies for slow cooking, I used:
- about 4 stalks celery
- 1 celeriac
- some small parsnips
- the stalks of my broccoli (and some of the flower too)
- some cauliflower florets
- You can also use – potato, carrots, sweet potato, spinach etc.
- 2-3 cups broth + hot water to cover
- Optional to servie – Dutch or German Wurst (sausage) + rye sourdough.
- Place everything in your slow cooker and top with hot water to cover. Give it a stir.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- Remove the ham hock with a pair of tongs and shred the meat on a chopping board.
- Remove some of the stock using a ladel (if you feel there is too much) and reserve.
- Use a stick mixer (aka immersion blender/soup stick) to blend what’s left in the slow cooker together, allow the pea & ham soup to still remain a little chunky. Add some of the reserved broth if you feel you need.
- Return the shredded ham meat to the soup and stir through. Season the soup as required (salt/pepper)
- Grill the wurst sausage and slice.
- Serve each bowl of pea & ham soup with a few slices of wurst and some rye soudough.