Looking for something a little different this Christmas? Either for Dessert, or to take to the work Christmas party, or gathering with friends? These Festive Friands are a great option.
If you don’t have a friand baking tray/tin then you can just use a muffin tray or silicone muffin moulds.
This recipe is gluten-free and can be made dairy-free, you can also make your own fruit mince, or buy from the supermarket (I love Aldi).
If you like this recipe then have a look at my other Christmas recipes here!
Ingredients (makes about 6-8 friands):
- 6 egg whites
- 80g butter, melted (coconut oil for dairy-free)
- zest of 1 orange
- 1 C almond meal
- 1/4 C tapioca flour
- 1/4 C rapadura sugar
- 1 t cinnamon
- 1 t allspice
- 1/2 C fruit mince (I like to use one prepared with brandy)
- Preheat oven to 180 degC and greace a friand or muffin tray.
- Whisk the egg whites in a medium bowl until frothy. Stir in the butter, orange rind, almond meal sugar and tapioca.
- Spoon mixture into pan holes.
- Spoon about a tablespoon of fruit mince into the middle of the batter of each festive friand.
- Bake for 15-20mins or until cooked through.
- Remove from oven and stand for 5 minutes before turning (top side up) onto a wire rack to cool.
- I like to serve these Festive Friands with a dusting of icing sugar and either ice cream or double cream.