Strength training has many benefits from improved bone density and muscle tone to fat loss and flexibility. To read more about the benefits of Strength Training, see my article.
Strength training doesn’t have to involve lifting lots of heavy things in front of a mirror in the gym. By applying any resistance to muscles (including bodyweight) we are able to create the tension needed to improve strength.
Try this great full-body bodyweight workout, no weights required, just a bench/step)
Complete a 5-10min warm-up of jogging/walking around the block, followed by 50 star jumps.
Complete the specified number of each of the following exercises in the order specified, and then repeat 3 times.
- 10 Lunges (each leg)
- 10 Squat pulses (lower your bottom down to the base of the squat position and pulse for a count to 10 before coming up, repeat 10 times)
- 10 Squat Jumps
- 10 Slow Step-Ups each leg (step up slowly on a step, minimum 30cm high, focusing on NOT using the leg to the ground to push you up)
- 10 Push Ups (knees or toes, work up to doing all on your toes).
- 15 Bench Dips
- 10 Prone Knee-to-elbow each leg (hold in prone position and bring right knee to meet right elbow, repeat with left)
- 10 leg raises
- 30 second side plank hold each side (work up to 60sec)
Walk around the block and work through stretches for your glutes, quads, hamstrings, chest, triceps and obliques.