I love a good fritter. Zucchini fritters, carrot fritters, pumpkin fritters, mixed-veggie fritters, you name it. Fritters are so versatile – perfect for fancy homemade brunches, satisfying packed lunches for school or work, not to mention easy and kid-friendly breakfasts and dinners! PLUS they’re REALLY easy to make.
When I make fritters, I’m usually making them as a vegetarian protein option for lunches, so I want to make sure I’m stocking them up with a good amount of protein, fibre and micronutrients. One way I do that is by using 180 Nutrition’s Superfood Protein; it contains a solid amount of vegan protein (pea protein isolate) as well as fibre, healthy fats, vitamins and minerals from psyllium husks, sunflower seeds, chia seeds, sesame seeds, almond meal and coconut flour.
Check out the recipe below as well as heaps of variations depending on what veggies you’ve got lying around!
Recipe Type: GF, DF, RSF, V, Paleo
Makes about 8 small fritters or 4 large
- 1 C grated zucchini (or carrot/pumpkin/whatever you choose to use)
- 1/2 C 180 Nutrition Vegan Coconut Superfood
- 1/2 C Quinoa Flakes
- between 3/4 and 1 C water (this will depend on the moisture content of the zucchini/vegetable you use)
- pinch salt and pepper
- herbs and spices of your choosing (I love cumin, turmeric, black pepper and garam masala but garlic, oregano, basil, thyme and rosemary also make a delicious combo)
- optional: if you’re not intolerant to egg, then use 1 egg and about 1/3 of the water.
- optional: use carrot or pumpkin or other veggies instead of zucchini, you may just need to adjust the amount of water used to bring it together.
- In a bowl, combine zucchini, superfood, quinoa flakes, herbs and spices.
- Add water (and egg if using) to bring it together in a batter.
- Heat a frypan to medium heat, add a little olive oil or coconut oil to grease.
- Take portions of the mixture about the size of 1/4 cup, form into patties/fritters and cook on the frypan until brown on one side then flip and cook until brown on the other.
- OPTIONAL – coat the fritters in coconut flour/almond meal/extra quinoa flakes before cooking for some crispy texture on the outside.
- Remove and serve immediately or store in the fridge for lunches later in the week.