I make some pretty amazing Red Velvet Bliss Balls (the recipe is in my Bliss Balls ebook), if I do say so myself. They’re rich and decadent but at the same time quite light as they use beetroot! Recently on social media I’ve been seeing a lot of chocolate mudcakes-type recipes and it got me thinking about my Red Velvet Bliss Balls and re-arranging the recipe to make them into a Red Velvet Mudcake!
I had to change a few things in the recipe, and of course I added an icing!
Serves 12-16 squares or a 15cm diameter round cake
Time 20-30 mins to prepare then minimum 5 hours to set.
Ingredients and Method:
For the Base:
- 1 C grated beetroot
- 1 C shredded coconut
- 1/2 C brazil nuts (or another nut if you prefer), soaked in water for min. 6 hours or overnight (for nut-free use sunflower seeds)
- 1/2 C raw cacao powder (use Carob for caffeine-free)
- 1/3 C dried dates, that have been soaked in hot water for 10 mins OR 2 T of a liquid sweetener like honey, rice malt, maple syrup etc. (for sugar/sweetener-free, omit or replace with 1/2 tsp stevia leaf powder)
- 1 tsp vanilla powder or paste
- 2 T coconut cream (from the can)
- pinch sea salt
- Combine all ingredients together in food processor until well combined (you will need to scrape down the sides to make sure everything is incorporated).
- Spread out evenly onto a greased spring-form cake tin or baking tray lined with baking paper.
- Place in the fridge while making the icing.
For the Icing
- 1/2 C coconut cream
- 1/3 C raw cacao powder (use Carob for caffeine-free)
- 1/3 C melted coconut oil or cacao butter
- pinch of salt
- optional sweetener of choice (use stevia for sugar-free, otherwise a couple of dates, maple syrup, honey, rice malt syrup etc.)
- Blend all ingredients together in a blender or food processor until smooth.
- Spread evenly over the base then place in the fridge to set for 2 hours minimum.
- Once set, carefully remove the cake from the spring-form tin or baking tray and serve/slice as desired!
- Store in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to 1 week.