I find making my own pastry time consuming and and pretty ‘hit-n-miss’. Pretty much all pastry also needs egg which doesn’t agree with me. Plus I’m all about whole foods where possible. So, getting creative in the kitchen, I just put together this quick and easy 2-minute paleo sausage roll the other week and it turned out pretty good! All you need is a regular vegetable peeler!
You could use zucchini or sweet potato as well instead of carrot if you like.
Recipe Type: GF, DF, RSF, Paleo
Time 10 mins
- 1 of your favourite GF organic sausages (I love the pure pork sausages from Back Fatters)
- 1 Carrot
To serve: In this photo I had roasted golden baby beets, roasted red cabbage, fresh salad and some passata but you could serve with anything really.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees celsius.
- Remove the sausage meat from its casing.
- Peel the carrot, then use the peeler to make long and wide carrot ‘strips’.
- Line the strips up with the long sides touching so that they overlap by about 1/2 a cm.
- Form the sausage meat into a roll.
- Place the meat at one end of the carrot strips and ‘roll’ it up with the strips.
- Place on a lined baking train and bake for 20 mins.
- Serve the paleo sausage roll with suggestions above or your favourite sides.