There are so many different ‘lattes’ blends on the market these days – turmeric, chai, hot chocolate, gingerbread, even beetroot lattes (yes, they’re bright pink)! But no Choc Chilli Chai…
One of the perks of working in a health food store with a cafe is that I get to experiment with all these different flavours! I’ve always really enjoyed dark chilli chocolate so I thought I’d try and recreate this in a hot drink. And it certainly took a few goes to perfect the recipe with many a batch thrown down the sink with just too much chilli haha! Here’s what I arrived at – note that I do love chilli so you may like to add only half the amount to start with and see what your tolerance is.
- 2 T raw cacao powder
- 1/2 t chilli powder (if you’re not a real chilli person then try adding half the amount and see how you find it – add more if you like)
- 1/2 t cardamom powder
- 1/4 t ground nutmeg
- 1 t ground cinnamon
Place all these powders in a jar, close the lid and shake it all up to combine well.
- Place 1 cup of your milk of choice and 2 teaspoons of the spice mix above into your milk frother, turn it on and once finished serve.
- heat 1 cup of milk of choice and 2 teaspoons of the spice mix above in a small pot on the stove and while stirring. OR
- heat 1 cup of milk of choice in the microwave and blend with 2 teaspoons of the spice mix above in a blender.
- steam 1 cup of milk of choice and 2 teaspoons of the spice mix with a conventional espresso machine milk steamer.
- For a really delicious and decadent option – add a teaspoon of peanut butter! “Choc-Chilli-Peanut Butter-Chai”.