I haven’t had ANZAC Biccies in AGES especially since avoiding gluten, dairy and high sugar foods in general. Then someone asked me if I could come up with a ‘healthy’ ANZAC biscuit recipe for them. Well, with ANZAC day coming up shortly I figured why not have a go!
After a few tries, here’s what I’ve come up with.
Recipe Type: GF, DF, RSF, V
Serves ~12 cookies
Time 45 min
- 3/4 C certified gluten-free rolled oats (or quinoa flakes)
- 1/2 C buckwheat flour
- 1/2 C almond meal
- 1/2 C desiccated coconut
- 1 T chia seeds
- 1/2 C date caramel (or coconut oil)
- 2 T golden syrup (this makes the biscuits NOT refined sugar free but really does add to the flavour)
- 1-2 T water
Note: depending one whether you use rolled oats or quinoa flakes will change the dryness of the batter, for quinoa flakes you may need to add a little more date caramel or some coconut oil.
- Preheat a fan-forced oven to 160deg C.
- Mix dry ingredients together in a bowl until well combined.
- Mix wet ingredients together in another bowl until combined.
- Add wet ingredients to dry and bring together with a spoon, and ultimately your hands!
- Form the mixture into balls then flatten out on a lined baking tray, imprinting the top of each with a fork.
- Bake for 20-25 mins (depending on your oven) before removing and allowing to cool.
- Store in an air-tight container in the pantry for a few days before moving to the fridge if not finished!